Mould is the common word for any fungus that grows on food or damp materials. Mould can be black, white or almost any colour.
In order to grow, mould needs moisture and a material it can live on. It then releases “spores” into the air which are small enough that people can actually breathe them in. Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce can negatively impact your health.
Common places for mould to grow indoors are on window sills, fabrics, carpets, and walls in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas.
There is a relationship between indoor mould, damp conditions and increased:
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Coughing and phlegm build-up
- Wheezing and shortness of breath
- Symptoms of asthma
- Allergic reactions
Effective Building Engineering Ltd provides on-site indoor air quality testing as well as follow-up remedial specifications if required.